EtymologyFrom Latin mamma.
- Rhymes: -æmə
Usage notesMost people will use this word as an alternative spelling of mama (mother, mama, mamma) but this is not true, according to Van Dale.
Nounmamma (plural mamma)
- mammary gland.
- mummy (UK)
- suck the breast.
Nounsv-noun-reg-or mamm mamma
Mamma has several meanings:
- A Mother, biological or social female parent of a child or offspring.
- The Latin term for Breasts, the upper ventral region of an animal's torso, particularly that of mammals, including human beings
- Mammatus cloud, associated with particularly intense storms, so-named for their resemblance to breasts.
- Mamma.com, a metasearch engine
- Mamma, a novel of 1908 by Rhoda Broughton
- Mamma, the Maltese term for one of the triliteral roots that form most Maltese words.
mamma in Italian: Mamma